View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #21
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb5853 View Post
I also feed prey model raw. I looked at the pics in your album. Those are pretty big chunks of bone. You picked those out of the patties? While I don't think they would harm a dog, they are large pieces of bone for a pre-made. I have used Primal as well as Nature's Variety and also Stella and Chewy's (all pre-made frozen raw) and NONE of them have those big shards of bone. I would not feel real comfortable feeding a pre-made that had that amount of bone chunks in it.

That being said, I would be VERY comfortable feeding a cornish hen in parts or even a chicken wing to a small dog. The dog can crunch the bones up with no problem. I would be concerned with a dog just swallowing the bone fragments in the patties.

Also, that amount of bone is going to be over 10% most likely and that's too much bone. Too much bone can cause blockages in severe cases and constipation in most cases. The optimum raw diet is MOSTLY meat, a little bit of bone and just a tiny bit of organs. I think the pre-made supplier you are using is cutting corners by adding a lot of bone to bulk up their product. I think you'd be better off buying a cornish hen at the grocery store and whacking it up into pieces and feeding that instead. Maybe feed some meat only meals in between bone-in meals to keep the ratio at 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs.
Great post! It just goes to show that you can't trust any commercial pet food companies. I'm much more comfortable preparing it myself.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!