View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
HarleyHOO
YT Addict

Hi there, I'm no expert, but I moved in July of last year and Harley did just fine. Granted, she was only 5 months old, but still a change. I'd say first off, YOU need to be comfortable with the move ~ not that you aren't, I'm sure you're excited, but I mean comfortable with moving WITH her. Does that make sense? Dogs pick up on our energy and if she senses that you're tense or unsure of how she'll react to the transition, then it will probably be tougher than if you just relax, and go with the flow.
Secondly, is there any way you can maybe begin driving to your new neighborhood, parking, and taking her for a walk, maybe let her sniff out the new yard? This could help her adjust to the new environment before you actually move in. I did this with Harley for about 3 weeks before moving in, but it was easier for me because we already owned the house and we were renovating so I was able to actually spend some time each day going there and then leaving. This way it was already a familiar place on move-in day.
Maybe try getting some of her favorite things set out before you bring her in?
Let her sniff it out and when she goes around to explore, give her a treat and say excitely. "we're home!."
I think it's normal for there to be a little apprehension, as she's seen you packing boxes and running around...lets face it, moving is stressful and they can feel that. But once you get in and get settled, I think she'll be just fine. Just remember to take some time out from unpacking each day and love on her

Good luck and congratulations! Let us know how it goes
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!