View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Default A Little Advice, Please

This is something I've never seen discussed here and something I've never been confronted with before. I"d like opinions from anyone who may have had a situation like this.

Okay, here it is in a nutshell. I was contacted by a lady over the weekend that is interested in one of my pups, an 8 month old female. It was just an initial contact (by phone) so we're nowhere near making a decision. It was a good conversation we had. She asked me plenty of questions, as I did her. She (and her husband) are experienced Yorkie owners that lost their 14 year old girl last October. She explained that they just haven't been the same since her death and are now ready to add a new girl to their home.

From the conversation, my first impression is that this is the type of person that I would like to have one of my pups. Here's the thing, though. She's now 80 years old. Mind you, this was just an initial phone conversation. It was a good one, though, and I never would have guessed her age unless she told me. She doesn't seem to be a 'typical' 80 year old, if there is such a thing. Sorry if I offend anyone but I just don't know how else to say it. I could only hope to be so sharp if I'm lucky enough to see 80.

Should I automatically not consider her due only to her age. I've known quite a few very elderly people that could have taken on a young dog at that age and done well. Of course, my first priority is the welfare of any of my pups. I can include clauses in a contract but that won't prevent a situation from happening...it would just ensure her return to me.

I'm really torn as I don't want to be discriminating just solely on age. I mean, anything can happen to anyone at any stage of their life.

She really seems to be a very nice lady and I don't want to just 'blow her off'. If I were to discourage her away from my girl, are there any good suggestions I could give her as she obviously wants a Yorkie in her life. Rescue? Adopting a retired female? I don't want to steer her away just to have some other breeder place a pup with her if a young Yorkie isn't a good fit for her.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any insight.

Jim
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!