View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyfontaine View Post
I adopted my yorkie puppy 3 days ago. She is a 1lb 3 oz female yorkie. She was the runt. She has short hair with a few sprouts. I was told she was pure-bred and her sister who was already adopted had the full fuzz going on. I also took my pup to the vet the next day and the poor baby came home with 2 meds for worms and an antibiotic for a respiratory infection. I was wondering, why my pup has short hair and ailments and the rest of the litter look like normal yorkie puppies. She is my first yorkie and I love her dearly, but was wondering if maye because she is the runt, she isn't growing her coat. Does that mean she will always have short hair, or is she possibly not full blooded as I was told. She is very very tiny. Her ears also flop over her little head. Theres no question of giving her back or worrying about money, I paid the full price of a pure-bred puppy, I am more so just curious as to what's to be expected she is 3 times smaller than her litter mates, and she was sick. I know that this doesn't mean a lot but she is ckc registered and her parents both looked like the standard yorkie, and her siblings did as well, but to me she looks like a little chi with floppy ears. Adorable, but I was just curious if anyone else had a puppy like her.
My second question is what is a good way to help her with her digestion? She poops maybe once a day and such a tiny amount, her belly is also very distended and rock hard. She went to the vet and is going again friday, but I don't want her to be uncomfortable so long. She is eating a special puppy diet for yorkies the vet gave me. So I think her diet is good, but again, I don't know what to expect with the little runt.
Welcome to YT and congrats on your new baby girl. Wow, from all that I have read here on YT, you need to be extra extra careful. The consensus here is yorkie puppies are not suppose to leave their mommy until 12 weeks of age. Runts, as you call her, need extra attention and are sometimes kept even longer to give them a better chance at a full healthy life. Do a search on nutrical at the top of the page, lots of people keep that on hand for babies. 7 weeks is still very very young, and her ears will still go up and down for a while, especially when she's teething. Then again, if the ears never go up, don't be too disappointed, they're cute that way too! (see pics below)
Be very careful with your new princess. I bet the more experienced breeders and owners will chime in with more helpful hints and tips. I myself never had such a tiny puppy. My baby boy came home on his first birthday.
7 week old yorkie-img_0009.jpg 7 week old yorkie-bed-head.jpg 7 week old yorkie-img_0013.jpg
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!