View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furmomma24 View Post
I am sorry I have not replied before this. We were away.
I wanted to thankyou for the comments.
The food we are feeding is called Legacy. We started feeding the beef too and they both are doing good on it.
Last night they had the turkey and my MinPin was sick in the night and vomited and when I washed her bedding I found in the water trap of the washer quite a few small pieces of bone. I think she gulps her food so fast that she is not chewing them properly. ANY suggestions on slowing that down? Also we were feeding the recommended amount and noticed she was loosing abit of weight..so we upped her portions abit. She tends to be on the lean side and the weight loss was noticeable.
The store where we buy the food will deliver to our town so I am thinking of having them bring buffalo with the turkey and beef.Chicken is not an option right now, we are trying to avoid it because suspect it may be something that triggers allergic reaction. Any other suggestions for protein source besides the turkey, beef and buffalo?
We also got them some big meaty beef bones and my MinPin loved them.
If I give them fresh turkey do you I leave the skin on ..or take it off?
9I noticed Mystique (the minpin) was abit constipated too...but I added a few drops of an Omega 3/6/9 supplement to the food and that seems to have righted itself.
Thanks again for your help.
If you're feeding pre-made raw, there might not be much you can do about the fast eating. I searched Legacy and only found a grain-free kibble so I'm not sure exactly how it's packaged, etc. Dogs do not chew the way we do. They rip, tear, and gulp. It's normal for her to swallow tiny bits of bone. Those are usually digested in the stomach. If she's losing weight I would just give her more until you feel she's at a comfortable size.

Also, many dogs who experience allergies to chicken have absolutely no problem with raw chicken. It is the most palatable for dogs so it's usually used as a staple in a diet. I would try raw chicken before writing it off completely!

At first I cut off all the skin/fat on raw because I thought it might be too much for the dogs to handle. Now I usually leave it on, unless there is an excessive amount. Fat is an important part of any diet so it's totally okay to give. Sometimes pre-made raw has a really high bone content so you will notice some constipation. Canned pumpkin is great for this!

Sorry to hear you're having so many problems thus far! Stick with it and hopefully it'll all work out. It's definitely worth the try.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!