View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
friscomom
CURRENTLY SUSPENDED!

Thanks guys. While I was looking for a good reference to 'too much puppy exercise', I found the clip below, which I think is alleviating my fears. Also, 10 miles is the last thing I had in mind, just around a few blocks here and there by bike, at a brisker pace for the pup than I feel like walking. So I'm thinking it is probably ok. But this pup never tires! After running, he is amped and wants more! I've never seen him get tired, just bored.

why you quitting?!
why you quitting?!
why you quitting?!
let's go let's go!

Anyway here's the clip about the bones thing, says little dogs are probably good to go.

Quote:
Bones are considered mature when their growth plates close. In small dogs, this might occur at six months of age. In Great Danes, it could be as late as 14 months. Too much stress on bones while the growth plates are open can cause damage and irregular growth.
Endurance training is only for dogs with mature skeletons. If you take a six-month-old puppy on a 10-mile run, you are setting him up for injury and long-term orthopaedic issues. Just as it takes years of training for a human (an adult at that) to run long distances, it takes time to get a dog conditioned for endurance work. It’s critical that the bone support system (tendons/ligaments) be well prepared to accept the stress.
Dogs in Canada Easy does it: Puppies and exercise
friscomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!