View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
PrincessDiana
I ♥ Franklin & Maggie
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe n kaylee View Post
I would love to do the prey-model diet but im not confident that id do it right so id be paranoid they arent getting everything they need nutritionally... plus i dont know of any butcher shops... but my goal is in the future to feed PMR.. If u have any suggestions on how to get started on PMR, that would be great! What about buying meat at Costco? Would that be more cost effective? I will def look into this... thank you!
It is definitely overwhelming and scary at first but after you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. I don't even bother weighing anything anymore. If this is something you are interested in I can definitely help you get started! PM me and I can send you some really helpful links.

You can definitely buy meat at Costco! A lot of our meat comes straight from the grocery store.. you just have to make sure it is unenhanced. A lot of meat marketed for humans has chicken broth and sodium added to make the meat more tender and flavorful. Too much of this can cause tummy upset in dogs, although some handle it just fine (mine do). A good way to make sure is to check the nutrition label. Anything with more than 80mg of sodium is enhanced. The reason I suggested a butcher or co-op originally is because you may be able to get better prices and more variety. For example, with PMR you have to feed organ and if that's something you cannot find at Costco then you'll have to order it or find a supplier.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread but like I said, PM me with your questions and I'll help get you started.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!