View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #36
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashabear0430 View Post
Sasha went in to get her BAT. Can someone tell me how their vet took blood?? The vet I took Sasha to got blood form her neck
I don't think it matters what location the blood is drawn from, but according to Dr. Centers, how the blood is drawn.

1. Collect a bile acid sample before a meal (pre-meal) and 2 hours after a normal meal. It is no longer recommended fo fast for 12 hours before first collection or meal. The optimal meal is one of the dogn's regular food. Stuffin the dog, the dob being stressed or frightened can posssibly skew results. The draw can be done one day pre feeding, then the dog can be taken home and fed and another draw done 2 hours post-feeding.

2. Bile Acid TEsting - Criteria for best draw. Also, it's been heard from a number of people that they have a pretty divergent resultsd on multiple draws. What facxtors re most likely to influence this?

Dogs should not be stressed prior to draw. Blood should be collected into lithium vacutainers. The blood must be treated gently as rupture of the red blood cels complicates testing. Red color completes with the blue dye color in the assay that measures the concentration of bile acid. Limpic blood (fatty blood) after the meal increases red blood cel fragility.
a. Collect blood into syringe using a butterfly set up.
b. Remove needle from syringe and remove the top of the vacutainer tube
c. Gently put the blood (rolldown side of the glass) into the vacutainer.
d. Replace the rubber top on the vacutainer, making sure it seals tightly
e. Centrifuge the sample to separate plasma from red blood cells.
f. Put plasma in a separate tube before mailing
g. DO NOT USE separator tubes as these are inconsistent in their ability to keep red blood cells and plasma ceparate
h. Bile Acid cannot be measured in EDTA blood, do not collect into purple top tubes.
i. Bolume of blood necessary for bile acid determination: at least 1/2m; (.5ml) of PLASMA, that means 1 to 1.5 ml blood

Many things can influence the results. A dog that has been car sick or stressed will test differently.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!