View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
nneessaa
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee B View Post
If your pup is tiny, maybe a ferret harness will fit him?

Hamilton Deluxe Ferret Harness & Lead Set

I can't find one online with a quick search, but at one of the big box pet stores I got a step in harness for Bella when she was still tiny.

At any rate, if you put the leash on the pup and let it drag it around, he'll get used to the feel of a leash. Of course, this can't be done unsupervised, because you don't want him to get snagged on anything.

Alternatively, I started mine out with retractable leashes. They were given freedom to explore, but reeled in when appropriate. Also, the pup will want to follow you, so if you walk, he will, too. Worry about "control" at a later date - let him find out that walks are fun, first.

And if it's cold, you may wish to wait a bit.
I did this too. I have pet sat for puppies. One of them was a 3 lb puppy and his owner didn't care if I took it for walks down the street. Puppies have all their shots by 4 months but I still took him for short walks. He was 3 months too, and I started him out on the retractable. He would sit down sometimes but I would encourage him and sometimes pull a little. Now, at almost a year old Chase (the same puppy) is always at the front. It just takes time. It took about a week while working with him everyday for him to no longer make pit stops. I miss that little guy...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!