View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Elle
YT 500 Club Member

She's a puppy so it should be fun, it's a learning time. Perfection will come, this is for learning. Just to introduce it & get nails cut!
You never brush a dirty coat. Wet or dry. It breaks the coat off. I don't know how many yorkies you have or how often you're bathing her. But every 2 wks unless she's getting dirty.
Use conditioner with your fingers to work them out tangles. I like coat handler shampoo & conditioner at this age. I'd stay away from baby shampoo. Put her on the grooming table or washer covered. Whatever you use for a grooming table. Put her there & make it fun. Hold her firmly with one hand while you groom with the other. Use a small pin brush and I found a boar brush to be to do wonders. I do not think you need a mason person if you don't have one. They don't freak out with it b/c it feels good. I also feel they like a brush better than a comb. But I still get in there w/ comb very quick. Cut nails quickly. Just play games at the same time. Just like trying to feed gerber to infants. Same concept IMO. "such a goody dood giiiiiirl" You get a cookie baby girl, oh you didn't look this way (as you cut another one.
It's okay if she growls. Biting is not though. If she bites, put the alpha bitch card on her. She's going to try it, it's okay that tries. But she must learn to get this done.
If you can't get through this quickly, see if theres a yorkie mom nearby that can show you. You can do it. Once you do, you will be like duh I was just afraid I would hurt her. Don't be afraid of her. She's a tough little princess
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!