View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMother View Post
What is he getting rewarded for??
If he knows to sit when asked he should be off food reward and only get a mild verbal good boy.
He is using you. Once a cue is in place a behaviour should be put on random reinficment fast or it becomes bribery.
Only way he gets a treat is after he does a cue that you ask for not one he tosses at you to get a treat.

JL
I failed to adequately communicate the situation: I'm not giving the "sit" command -- he comes and sits in front of me to get my attention to interact with me. Max will sit, stand, and sit again (almost like a curtsy -- he will do this 20 times until I acknowledge him. (He does it so much that I worry that he is going to have hip problems )

The "reward" I referred to is when I pick up a piece of kibble from his bowl and hand it to him, or I put the kibble in his Kong -- he isn't getting any extra food or a special treat. The reward is really attention.

My problem is that he will do something naughty, then turn around and start the sitting game (seeking an affirmation?), and as soon as he gets the attention he seeks, Max will do something naughty as if to say, "Ha ha." He is being an imp, but it is irritating -- especially when the naughty thing is a little barking bender.

My question is, how do I break the cycle? Max is tenacious. Do I ignore him when he starts the sitting game?
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!