View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendah View Post
Ok, here goes (I will try to keep it short and to the point) I really need to know what is the difference between a "good hobby breeder" (myself just starting) and a breeder that "shows their dogs"??? I think both can be great, but people put me down for not "showing my dogs"
This is my opinion on the subject due to what I see a lot of people saying and telling me on here; I feel that a lot of the breeders that "show dogs" are putting other breeders down What I have seen is that these breeders always say that they are breeding to "improve". But I see that they are lucky to get one (1) good show quality pup out of every few litters. To me that means they are selling the "leftovers" at very high prices.??? How does that make them any better then anybody else?

I have researched for few years before I started breeding and my main thing is to have a HEALTHY moms/dads and puppies that people can enjoy as much as I enjoy my furbabies. (that also are within standard) I will give more details if you ask. Few basics are that I started breeding when I felt the time was right. Skin kids older now, I have the finances, I am able to work from home- so I am home most all the time, Lots of research just a few reasons. Also I have had all the proper testing done for my dogs that will be used for breeding. They are all my pets also. They live in my home as my family with the rest of us and are underfoot, they even sleep in bed with us (it is a bed full but I could not see it any other way)

Please don't bash me. I have been waiting before I become a donating member because of the bashing on here. I think most of the people her are GREAT- so please don't be offended or understand me in the wrong way. I have and always will support "rescue groups"

I guess the question is Why should "good hobby breeders" be treated so different then a breeder that "shows their dogs"?

I am sorry I could not sleep without venting this. And as always I do welcome any advice or tips.
Being a Breeder/Exhibitor (the correct term), I'll see if I can explain myself.

1. According to the AKC the reason for showing is to gain approval of your breeding stock. How your dog meets the standard.

However, since conformation is looking at a dog from the outside, how it's put together......it's up to the breeder to breed responsibly and only breeding healthy dogs that are a good representation of the breed.

As a pet owner, prior to exhibiting, I didn't know the difference between a good dog/bad dog....coat texture, color, head carriage, gait, layback, health issues, etc. What exhibiting does is teach you all these things, along with a good mentor. Once I began exhibiting I began looking at a yorkie completely different that I used to. It makes your eye sharper in recognizing faults in a dog. There are other aspects, we attend breeding seminars, whelping seminars, genetics, pour over pedigrees...learn them backwards and forwards; learning every dog in that pedigree, it's offspring, it's siblings, etc

Now the true definition of a hobby breeder is one that did exhibit and no longer does, but still breeds.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!