Thread: Stinky Ears
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessangela3 View Post
Hahaha Mary, He did go to the vet and they found only a possible yeast infection....They did suggest drops and cleaning his ears regularly. They did find a second set of teeth that they will pull if they are not out by the time he is neutered (Beginning of the year). We did notice yesterday he lost one of the 4 teeth only 3 more to go. Do you think pulling the teeth is neccessary?

Another question for you is....One of the puppies is getting neutered end of December. Her vet offers pain medication for after the surgery as an additional cost. She has aked me if it is an additional service, is it truly neccessary to give the after surgery pain medicine or is something over the counter just as effective. It bugs me that if it is neccessary that they would charge pain medicine as an extra cost.
Pulling puppy teeth in most yorkies is more often needed than not. If left unattended for too long, it can cause a bite to go off and possible tooth decay.

Most vets provide the pain meds, however they do charge for them. Do I recommend it? Yes. I'll explain; first it keeps them down while they are healing, since they shouldn't be running or jumping. Second, a few years back I attend a canine behavior seminar....one of the subjects was canine pain. Most canines will not exhibit outward signs of pain......it puts them at a disadvantage.....survival of the fittest. A camera was left on in a vet hospital, dogs during the day exhibited no outward signs of pain and no pain meds were administered, when the hospital was quiet at night and everyone had left, a couple of dogs that had undergone surgery, were howling in pain.....

Last edited by Mardelin; 12-09-2009 at 07:11 AM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!