View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
2dogsandachick
Yorkie Yakker

You signed over legal ownership of your dog; you didn’t lose her, you gave her up. There is a difference here. As you said yourself, if she gets sick again you will have no financial means to take care of her so it seems the vet was right in saying this probably was the best decision for the dog’s health and well-being.
Most dogs are better at adapting to the change than their owners are. There are obvious exceptions (Stormy) but as a general rule dogs are highly adapatable.
It doesn’t work that you can adopt or foster the dog because you gave her away s that you wouldn’t have to pay the medical bills any more. If you they allowed owners that surrendered their dogs to adopt them back, then it’s free medical care – and how is that fair to the veterinarian, his staff, and other pet owners who pay full price? It’s fair that you don’t get her back, because now she gets the medical attention and care she needs.
I’m surprised that the vet wouldn’t work with you in the beginning on a bill that large. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh but dogs are a huge responsibility. I may well be alone in this, but I’d be at the pawn shop or trading in my car for a hooptie to save either of my boys’ lives, but pigs probably would be flying before I ever gave them up.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!