View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
ally173
YT 1000 Club Member

Cry Please help advice?- dog surrendered to hospitaldue to high cost of vet medical bill

My dog was diagnosed with pancreatitis on 11/19 and was treated at Banfield hospital in Secaucus, NJ, where i spend almost $700 that week; however on 11/25 she wasn't eating or drinking so i took her there; the vet said she's just spoiled and doesn’t like the food; so she force fed her the food with a syringe, gave her a b-complex shot and sent her home. Thanksgiving morning 11/26 around 5am she relapsed and started vomiting; the vet is closed so i knew that i had to cut water and food because of her condition and hoping that this will pass. However, she continued vomiting on and off, until she started vomiting blood. At that point i had to rush her to the ER animal emergency and referral associates in Fairfield, NJ , where she had been twice already in the past for similar episodes, but was never diagnosed. When i got there the vet told me she needs to stay at least 4 days in the hospital and the bill will be around $4000. Since i don't have that kind of money and my dog needed immediate medical help, i had no choice but to sign her out or surrender her to the hospital. I went back to the vet to tell them and request some of the money back, since it was their fault force-feeding her, knowing she has pancreatitis. No luck there. They said they did nothing wrong.
Then i went back to the ER in Fairfield to give them her vaccine history and some of her belongings. I begged and cried the vet if i can pay partial of the bill and take her home, she said they can't do that. I asked her if i was able to come up with that money by borrowing from friends and family, can my dog be cured and avoid these episodes. She said unfortunately they don't know what's wrong with her 100% and if this is genetic disease, it could happen unexpectedly. So i told her i can't pay the 4000 and then this can happen again. I will have no financial mean of taking care of her if she gets sick again. She said that i am doing what's best for the dog by leaving her there and someone from the hospital or their families will foster her or adopt her. That made me feel a bit better, but i asked her why can't i or my family adopt her. She said it doesn’t work that way. I guess it doesn’t; but how is that fair. A stranger will get my dog because i couldn’t afford $4000 but i can't get her back. How is that my fault? I have spent over $8000 on that dog and now i end up loosing her. I feel hopeless and helpless and i don't know what to do. I am heartbroken and devastated and i would like my dog back. Is there a way you or someone else can help me out, to figure out what to do to get my dog back? These are holiday’s time and my dog will be in a stranger’s house and i will be all alone. Also my dog is very sensitive dog and was attached to me dearly, and i know she will be depressed and possible will not eat in the new home. Please, i beg you help me out.
Your time and help are greatly appreciated.

Elisar Saade

esaade@njcu.edu

Dog Name Ava Saade client ID 108917
Currently at Animal Emergency & Referral Associates
1237 Bloomfield Ave
Fairfield, NJ 07004 973-226-3282
Vet Jennifer Norton
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!