Thread: DeBarking
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #8
JCarlson2004
Mommy To 3 Poochies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalyorkiLvr
I don't want to start a controversial thread, but I read recently that someone said debarking is done by ramming a metal bar down a dog's throat and I was appalled at the thought so I did a little research and found out that it is accomplished by a surgical procedure that is safer (according to this author) than neutering and/or spaying and is done with a laser in most cases. A part of the vocal cords is removed to reduce the volume of the bark but the dog can still make some noise after the procedure.

None of my dogs are debarked and I would not consider the procedure for my dogs as I do not agree with elective surgeries for mine, but I thought it was important to put the facts about the procedure out there since there seem to be misconceptions by some.

Here is the link
http://www.naiaonline.org/body/artic...debark_qna.htm

Now, I am ducking for cover.
I am the one who posted about debarking on another thread. I am a volunteer at an animal shelter and I've seen several debarked dogs. They were debarked by puppy millers and backyard breeds by ramming a metal rod or pipe down the dog's throat. What I stated is not a "misconception" by any means -- it is very ture. However, the information you presented is also true. But as we all know, backyard breeders and puppy millers won't spend one red cent on their dogs to have them debarked in a humane fashion. They do it the fast and cheap way. They don't care if the dogs vocal cords are severely damaged in the process. All they care about is breeding and breeding and breeding and breeding and breeding ... did I mention breeding? I did not state a "misconception" of any sort. I merely stated a popular means of debarking by puppy millers and backyard breeders.

I am very well aware of the surgical procedure involving debarking. There are some pet owners who choose to have their dogs surgically debarked. I personally do not agree with this, but as least the surgical method of debarking is done it a clean and safe environment by a vet.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!