View Single Post
Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Rub-a-Dub-Cub
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default The small dose of Comfortis is for 5 to 10 pound dogs

Just spent the night worrying about Cubby. Vet said ok to give him Comfortis for flea problem, said it was okay for 3 pound dogs and up. Well, after I gave it to him, he became lethargic. At 3am he couldn't get up, couldn't walk, coudn't stand, could barely, hardly move his head and was shaking. I called my vet who referred me to the emergency number who referred me to a poison number which is 1-800-213-6680. They reassured me that he would be alright unless he was on a very high dosage of Heartguard, like the dosage they give for mainge(sp?).

He wouldn't eat anything, drink anything or get up. It was just awful and frightening.

Around 5am-ish he vomited. Still very, very lethargic and wobbly. Looks awfully sad.

By 7:30am we were able to get him to walk outside, had to practically carry him out. He seemed better on the walk, but then he came back inside, very lethargic, wobbly, just laying on my lap like a limp dishrag. You could pick up his legs or paws and they would just drop, no response.

He still wouldn't eat or drink except to lick water off my husband's finger.

I called poison vet again, we were so worried. They wanted me to give him a snack but he wouldn't touch it. At 9am he took some Nutrical, a small dab.

By 10am he was still so lethargic, doing absolutely nothing but laying limp on my lap and he's so, so tiny I am so worried about him. He wouldn't even eat his freeze dried chicken liver which he usually goes nuts over and wouldn't drink.

I called poison center again and they recommended I try a little cooked rice with his normal food (he eats dry food only). I cooked the rice and mixed it with his dry food and he's eaten a little bit. Now he's back in bed.

I looked up the Comfortis on the website, as the vet only gave me one pill in a plastic baggy so there wasn't any information. The directions say it's for dogs from 5 to 10 pounds !!!!! I had asked the vet if I should cut it in half and he said I didn't need to do that.

Just wanted to warn you, vomiting, lethargy are side effects of Comfortis. I don't want anyone else to go through what we have been through with Cubby, we thought we were going to lose him.

Jeanne
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!