View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #12
jrsygal37
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelandSadie View Post
I do not understand why rescue dogs cost 200-400 for a mixed up breed of dog from a BYB or puppy mill when the BYB and puppy mills themselves charge a lot less.

I mean i know it's because of all the shots, spay/neuter and better quaility vet care and the living and care taking expenses that go into each rescue dog that wasn't probably given by the BYB or puppy mill, but do rescue groups expect people to be able to pay those prices? I mean what happened to FREE puppies to a good home when there was a mixed breed litter born?

I'm not trying to start a fight, i guess i just don't get it. i want to get a rescue dog very much, but I can't afford another 300 dog and sometimes the rescue dogs have worse health problems than the ones you get from a BYB. and the BYB is cheaper. so what's with this and how do they honestly expect to get these precious babies to a good home when asking such expensive "donations" to take one home.

Help me understand this better. i mean i guess i get it because of vet care and i do realize just how much vet care costs, but i thought that's why rescue groups are always doing fundraisers, so that they can vet a dog and then practically give it away to a good home not SELL it for quite a bit of money.

anyways i'm probably just misinformed or not quite understanding so feel free to chime in if you are a rescuer or foster and can help me to understand it better.

Thanks,
You are asking a legitimate question so no need to worry that you are going to start a fight. I have not read through the posts so this same answer may have aready been given. I work with rescue and I'm also someone that has adopted through rescue. Yes, you are right that you can buy a mixed breed pup from a puppymill cheap yes probably cheaper then what you'd pay through rescue. You may even be able to buy a pure bred pup through a mill cheaper BUT the first question you'd want to ask is would you really want to be part of supporting what a mill is. Second, the dog you bought so cheap is a lot of reasons why they are in rescue. MOST are so sick with hereditory conditions that the person that bought it cheap cannot afford to pay what it will cost to get the dog healthy. And, if you can afford it by the time you finish paying what it will cost to get the dog better you will probably be in the thousands. In reality this is what rescue in a lot of cases has paid out for that one dog they are asking an adoption fee of $300-$400 for. Also, the adoption fee of $300-$400 covers not only the vetting, food, and shots but also the spay and nueter. Many rescues now are doing what they call Pediatric Spay which prevents the adopters from later breeding the dog. The spay and neuter in itself (At least here in NJ) will cost you about $350. Through the Humane Society around $150 when all is said and done. Also, any money they do happen to make (Which hardly happens. Usually they lose money) goes towards helping an older or sicker dog that in all probability will be in foster care for the rest of it's life, so by adopting you're doing a good thing Yes, you may pay more but you are also getting more. You're getting the vetting, the spay/neuter, shots etc. and the certainty that the dog you are getting is healthy or you will know of any issues up front because a reputable rescue will not hide anything. And, you get to sleep well at night and wake up with a clear head knowing you did not support such a horrible place like a mill. I hope this helps answer your questions. Just for the record, I adopted my Lilly. She was 13 weeks old and a pure bred Yorkie. She also had a pediatric spay, was vetted (over $900 in vet bills) and I only paid $400 for her. Rescue in most cases do not charge less or more for a mixed or pure bred. They do gage the adoption fees in a lot of cases based on the age of the dog. And again IF they happen to make a couple of dollars which is rare the extra goes towards the care of the dogs left behind. Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!