View Single Post
Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I think $300 is the highest a rescue should go, but I think that's VERY reasonable. The adoption fees are not just going into the dog you're adopting, but helping all the others. Rescues take in loads of dogs and often times spend into the $1000's when it comes to vet care. So the adoption fee just helps to cover a little bit of that. Shelter space also cost money... to have a building full of animals, you're gonna pay a monthly rent just like any other business. They have to cover things somehow. My complaint with rescues does not go the costs but more so how over 75% of the rescues I contacted never even bothered to e-mail or call me back, some require fences (which I think should not be a requirement if you're willing to give your dog lots of exercise), some require you to be 25+, etc. I understand they must be strict but at the same time, there is sooo many dogs without homes, I think they do need to lay off on the rules sometimes. But I don't want this to be a rescue bashing thread because I 100% am behind what they do and what they stand for. Oh, and they're definitely not more than purebred dogs. At least nicely well bred purebred dogs. Most Yorkies are $800 and above as well as any other good breeder of any other breed. Besides that, shelters are also filled with purebred dogs and they have rescues dedicated simply to one breed so you can find purebred dogs at shelters, not just mixes.

Last edited by Britster; 11-13-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!