View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
starstella92
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by msobey View Post
Good to know. Our vet didn't want to do a C-section. The other pup was not moving and he thought she would be able to deliver it, no sense in paying for a C-section if the pup would be dead if she could deliver it. The water had broke 2 hours prior to her having her first live puppy so there was no way it would have made it by the time we got to the vet she was having green discharge. The thing that made me furious was that we called the vet and the first person I spoke to wasn't concerned that her water had broke and she had no puppy. After a half hour I was worried and called a different vet and he was very concerned and told me to call the vet that we were already using. The second time I called the vet told me to get here there asap and that most likely both pups were dead and of course I started freaking out- had they said that the first time I called them I would have been there! Zoey had had no problems w/ her first litter so I was unprepared for problems this time. Anyways I got there and they made me sit in the waiting room for 20+ minutes which really annoyed me since they sounded like it was an EMERGENCY and she is having GREEN discharge- shouldn't she get priority over a dog getting shots? Anyways, finally a different vet (there are 6+ at this clinic) came to get us- I was so upset in tears and was very angry at this point and he got her to have one w/ the calcium gel and an oxytocin shot. She wouldn't have the other one even though we waited an hour as it had already detached from the uterus over 2 hours ago at this point and it was not moving. He sent us home w/ instructions to call if it was not delivered in an hour. It was delivered- but was not alive. I tried to revive it anyway, but there was no way it had already passed. I am so afraid to ever breed her again.....
I'm so sorry for what you went through, especially losing the little puppy. At least you were able to save the first. How's the little one doing so far? And from what I've heard, every delivery is different. And yes, I'd be afraid to breed her again, as well; because of what happened with Maya and since she had the c-section, I told the vet to spay her while he was at it. No more for Maya! I couldn't put her through that again and not only risk the lives of puppies but her own included. I can't put myself through that again either, it was awful. We have two beautiful little babies now, so I can't say the experience wasn't worth it. But sometimes you have to go through a little pain to experience the joy. Again, I'm really sorry your experience was so difficult. Best of luck to your new mom and little baby. Have you posted pics yet? I'd love to see the puppy.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!