View Single Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Abby08
Senior Yorkie Talker

RamsesMom cannot ignore the barking and let it go and hope he gets tired of it and shuts up, because she lives in an apartment and her neighbors have complained already.

She has to take action, so if the citronella thing will work, that may help while she is out of the apartment.

Take him for a long walk when you can and play fetch with him when you can each day at a certain time and do it for the time you have alotted for it,(try to wear him out!) He may have excess energy and needs to have play time and exercise which is natural for any dog.

What I have done in the past when my dog barks while I am in the room is to pick her up, say "HUSH" sharply and put my hand over her muzzle and gently but firmly keep her mouth closed momentarily. I am not keeping her from breathing! I also squirt water,(from a water bottle with a spray/mist choice when I am further away from her and can't catch her)

My dog became even more defiant and barked more when I squirted her on her back and butt. You should be squirting him with either a mist or gentle stream in his face, not his nose, but in his face for it to be affective. Say hush/quiet,(what ever your word for silence) when you do it. Then reward him imediatly with petting or a treat when he shuts up. You need to sound somewhat aggressive/threatening when you say "hush" not exasperated.

As long as you let him have his way and ignore his behavior,(in this particular case because you have neighbors who will complain) he will be in charge, you have to be the leader and make him do as you tell him to. As long as he gets his way, he will be just like a defiant 2 year old and do what he wants and gets attention from "mom".

If at all possible, and if you have the time, look into taking him to obedience classes, you will learn how to get him to behave and the instructor should be able to observe how you two "behave" together and give you some extra pointers on how to be "Boss" if you need them.

I hope you are able to get him to quiet down before more trouble happens with neighbors
Abby08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!