Thread: new owner
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #28
Her Name Is Rio
Donating YT Addict

Love

Wow, you're new baby is definitely a tiny one! My Rio was 16 weeks when i brought her home and she was 1.7 pounds. At 8 months, she is now 2.7 pounds and I don't think she'll be getting much bigger. Having a tiny Yorkie takes a LOT of care, and you cannot leave them at home alone all day. I took off work for 2 weeks when I first got her, and now she is baby sat every day at my brother and sister-in-law's house when I am at work. She is very well socialized because she's always around people. You'll need to feed her often, at least 4 times a day, or free feed the entire day. You'll need to be sure to give honey/karo syrup/nutrical (choose one) before bedtime to prevent hypoglycemia. I also give Rio yogurt before bedtime to keep her tummy acids from making her vomit in the morning. I also give her yogurt first thing in the morning, again so her tummy won't be empty. I carry a small syringe of karo syrup in case I ever feel her blood sugar is low while we're out shopping or running around. You'll need to learn to "shuffle" around your house so you don't accidentally step on her. Tiny ones also have tiny bladders, so they can't hold their pee as long as bigger Yorkies. Rio can hold it about 5 hours if she had to, but she tends to pee every 3 hours. She is fully potty trained to go outside, so I'm very lucky. Having a tiny Yorkie is a lot of work but I wouldn't trade her for the world. She's big love in a small package!
Her Name Is Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!