View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM   #12
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Any time two dogs tie, you have to assume the girl is pregnant. BJH gave you some good advice. A crash course in whelping is certainly in order but, if you're truly inexperienced, you will absolutely need an experienced person with you as whelping time comes. Yorkies are not a breed where you can just let nature take its course.

If you don't know an experienced small dog breeder, you should rely on your vet. This will mean expenses for you but it is the responsible thing to do. The lives of your girl and her babies are at stake here and I'm not exaggerating.

I'm not sure how you meant it, but you should not be 'poking around' to see if she's pregnant. Only an experienced person should be checking her out.

There's no way to tell you all you need to know but here's a few basic things:

Have a vet confirm her pregnancy. Discuss your lack of experience with your vet and work out a plan for the pregnancy and delivery.

Assume she is pregnant until you have confirmation.

Limit her jumping.

Start now doing your research. You are not only responsible for a safe delivery but also in making sure the pups thrive. They are very vulnerable for several weeks and you must provide them with a suitable environment and know whether they are doing well or need intervention.

This is in no way a complete list of what you need to do/know. My head just spins when I see posts like this. If you girl is already a month along, you only have about another month to prepare as the gestation period is 9 weeks. Forget about any home remedy and saving money. Go see you vet to confirm the pregnancy and get cracking with preparation if she is. If she's not pregnant, I strongly suggest you have her spayed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!