View Single Post
Old 10-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartpuppiepets View Post
The thing with Coccidia is that the sample needs to contain "oocites" or eggs, when tested, and the dog or puppy may not be sedding it all the time in every single stool sample taken.
Also the fact that a dog or a puppy has tested positive for it does mean it is affected or will ever be affected by it, just means it is a carrier.
The medication given, "ALBON" in most cases is very safe and will cause no harm of given under the right directions of a vet, because coccidia can KILL A PUPPY and can make a puppy so weak, it is worthy to follow the vets instructions and go ahead and give it.
It is not profitable to any vet to prescribe a course of Albon unnecessarily , it only costs between 12.00 to 18.00 dollars per puppy if you buy it at the vets office. That being said, which vet would be willing to put his/her reputation in line for such little money? Specially if you already paid for a fecal exam and a wellness visit/ physical ? It makes no sense to say that the vets will "invent" that puppies have worms.
Worms and coccidia and other parasites can be dormant in the puppy's body and only show up after the stress of the ride to a forever home, separation from the mom and siblings etc... that is probably the main reason why it will show in a fecal exam done by the new owner.

PREVENTION is much cheaper than treatment. If you were BLESSED ENOUGH to have taken the right sample to your vet, where he/she saw eggs, larvae or worms or else... BE THANKFUL and go ahead and prevent further heart aches.

I have had my share of "FITS" with vets, but the majority of the vets will always have the best interest of the pets and pet owners in mind.

If People start breaking the VET x PET OWNER trusting relationship that can turn really bad.

We are seeing so much improvement on animal medicine, pets are living longer than ever and with so much new technology and preventative approach our pets have a longer, healthier life and that is also rewarding and fulfilling for the pet owners and families too.

We need to be very careful, specially in a forum like this.
As a breeder i put in my contract that every new family is responsible to take their puppy / dog regularly to the vets and actually that is a deal breaker for me. If people loose their thrust and become discouraged to bring their animals to the vets it will not be a good thing.

XOXO
Don't be so nieve. Not only vets, but family Drs will order tests etc if they get more money from it.

The vet is not ruining his reputation because he is erroring on the safe side. No harm is done to the puppy and he made money off the meds and the follow up checks.

Why do vest routinely ask for stool samples if there is no sign of illness? My vet doesn't ask for them.

Unless the puppy had diarrhea or some other symptom, why would they check the stool. Especially since they already know that finding them in the stool does not mean that they are infested with them (they could be carriers) and also NOT finding them in the stool does not mean that they don't have them.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!