Thread: Runny Stool!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #10
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

dwerten: As OP stated metro helps while she's on it would metro have any effect if it was a food intolerance? Metro is also prescribed when dogs have bouts of colitis, which can be caused by stress (any changes at home that may have upset dog?) Agree yogurt may not be a good choice for this pup, thought OP would know if pup was lactose intolerant or not. I should have told OP to go to heath food store in her area for probiotics, as the quicker she's put on them the better. Is it a good idea to change the food now or wait till after the antibiotics are done? OP states she can't feed anything else ... Forgot that Giardia does produces very stinky diarrhea ... reeking stinky, and yes, can be bloody, and waxy or oily in appearance. Also thinking diarrhea recurs from lack of good bacteria in the gut from antibiotics, probiotics alone may help as once the good bacteria are reestablished the gut may be able to handle Giardia and rid itself of it, or at least prevent it from taking hold. Article also recommends taking a stool sample over 3 days where it is collected and stored in the fridge and then all mixed together and tested as a single sample. Also, I have seen that a vaccine is available against Giardia, but my vet does not recommend it at this time as it is too new and any long term effects are unknown.

Last edited by kjc; 09-27-2009 at 10:08 PM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!