Thread: Runny Stool!
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #4
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Any yogurt has the bacteria in it. I try to find the most natural/organic to avoid unnecessary additives. In a pinch, the cheaper will work just fine. Mine eat the plain, vanilla, and berry flavors. DOGZYMES Digestive Enhancer from Nature's Farmacy - Store (Nature's Farmacy - Store - Product Details=) was recommended by Wylie's Mom in a thread about probiotics. It may be better than yogurt as it also contains digestive enzymes in addition to 5 types of good bacteria for the gut.

Many YTers also recommend canned pumpkin to help firm up the stools. (not the canned pumpkin pie mix) as it adds fiber to the diet. You can fill an ice cube tray with it an freeze it for longer storage as a can only stays good in the fridge for 3 days.

Also, prevent her from drinking rainwater from puddles on walks, or from any containers in your yard. Many people are unaware that this can be a possible source of Giardia infection. Also clean muddy feet immediately when coming into the home after a walk or being in the yard to prevent them from ingesting any protozoa they may have picked up.

Giardia can also be found in drinking water. Use a Pur or Brita filter that states elimination of Giardia cysts (usually 99.7% elimination) and give her filtered water. Clean the water bowl or bottle with a 5% - 10% bleach and water solution daily. Rinse 3 times then refill with filtered water.

And last but not least: keep her butt clean (especially during treatment). Giardia cysts can adhere to the hair and be transmitted back to the dog through licking. Bathe her completely a couple times during and at the end of the antibiotic treatment.

I am in no way saying that you don't keep your dog clean. I don't know you or your living situation. This type of infection can be extremely hard to get rid of and these are suggestions I found in articles about Giardia online. As your pup has recurring problems (as do mine) we may have to be really crazy clean (use bleach solution on floors, feed and water bowls, bedding, etc.) for a few months to irradicate this beast!

Last edited by kjc; 09-27-2009 at 08:42 PM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!