View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I use RC and even though I don't believe in those rating sites, they affect me as well. The site I read didn't actually use the ingredients RC claims to use, and also was reviewed by only one person, who actually has no credentials in dog nutrition or even human nutrition. So I try to take the review results with a grain of salt, but it's hard, when things are written on a site like that, they "seem" to be true. Some of the reviews results were given by a rating scale, giving a point for this and a point for that, as well as taking away a point for this and a point for that, this is really not good science, nor a good way to judge a food. I'm not sure why corn has gotten such a bad name, sometimes I think it's because people read things fast, and like things simple, for example you want to avoid Corn Gluten and it has little food value, but some people think this means corn. It also shouldn't be used as the main source of protein, as you may know, corn mixed with other amino acids is a protein, not a carbohydrate, but this should not be used as the main source of protein.

Quote:
►Corn often gets an undeserved bad reputation. While it is not acceptable as a main source of protein in a dog food (as it is used in combination with corn gluten), as a source of carbohydrates it is no better and no worse than other grains in terms of nutritional value and digestibility. The starch part of corn is highly digestible but the whole ground product has a higher fiber content than other grains (around 7%), which results in slightly larger stools - often incorrectly interpreted as lack of digestibility. Unless an individual dog is intolerant or allergic to corn, there is no need to avoid products which include it in reasonable amounts.
The Dog Food Project - Identifying better products
If you read old threads of YT, you will see food likes and dislikes tend to go in trends, and people seem to want to find the "best food." In reality, there probably is no best food, I think finding a "good" food that your dog does well on is all that's is really necessary, and I would try to avoid unhealthy treats. There are several things I like about Royal Canin, one is availability, another is packaging, I feel like the ingredients will stay fresh in the package, and I also believe the company has a good reputation. I also like they fact that they do make a breed specific product because I do believe that some breeds would do better on a different diet, whether they actually know what that is, I have no idea.

Join today and remove this ad!