Thread: Biting issues.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
BentleyB
Yorkie Talker

Wink

I took the advice of saying "ouch" this evening and he seems to get it... So, I am going to try that for a while - My fiance and I will also work to improve the consistency to 100%, not 97%... I think that will make all of the difference.

I do appreciate all of the feed-back, but I feel that I do have to come to my offense on this matter. I have only tried turning him around on his back one time and this was at the request of a well-respected vet in Seattle, Wa. Bentley didn't seem to do anything other than lay there, calmly... but it just made me feel that the action was not being tended to quick enough - I seemed to get the "mommy, why am I on my back" look.

The holding around the mouth - it is instant and you just cup around the mouth with your index and thumb - obviously not covering airways - this was also suggested by many people I know and the vet said that it just may work. I have done this about 4-5 times, he seems to respond, ok, but really it seems to more confuse him.

Bentley is a really smart dog and he was potty trained a lot easier than I was told he would be - he sits, heels, stays (well, we are working on stay). He just seems to think that this playing aggressively is "fun" to him.

I do have "play dates" with a border collie, my parents dog - they play amazingly well and love one another. Bentley seems to be submissive with Jess (my parent's dog) but they play well. He also plays with a few labs and other dogs because we own a house that is private and on the same road as a very large park.

I was just asking for advice - I wanted to see what others do, and I received some pretty great responses and will definitely try them out. I know that I am at fault for not being 100% consistent, but I have fallen victim to his cute face he looks like an ewok/teddy bear and he is so loving, other than this one issue.

As far as dominance: I know he understands that we are the "leaders" of the house, he just pushes boundaries and we are working on that. I feel that we are first time dog owners trying to do what we can.

As far as violence: I just can't bring myself to flick him, I respect that this has worked with others, but I just cannot bring myself to do this. I also will not pick him up by the back of the neck and/or "spank" him - this may be my doggie-parent downfall, but I feel that that is pushing a limit that I just can't bare to cross.

I am sorry that I explained all of that, I just wanted everyone to know some of my background to asset what the issues are.

I truly am grateful for this site - I know that being a first time dog owner and Yorkie owner, that I have a lot to learn.

Thank you all for your advice and I will definitely try a few things out if "ouch" doesn't continue to work... Bentley is cuddled up on me asleep, so I am going to sign off - thank you!!!
BentleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!