Thread: Biting issues.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke View Post
I do something that may sound truly strange, but it works for me.

Imagine what "hey!" sounds like...without the "h" sound. It's not especially loud in volume, but high up in the back of my throat, quick, sharp and positively ear-piercing. Not at all like yelling. It's instinctive on my part and it has caused every dog I've ever had to immediately stop whatever they're doing...and, um, shall we say, reconsider. This sound clearly horrifies them and causes an instantaneous "STOP" reaction.

Obviously, it's not what I say...it's the sound I make. And since it really is my automatic response to all bad (or dangerous to them) behavior, there's no delay between their action and my reaction. Perhaps you can find something like that within yourself that will be equally effective for you and your little Bentley.

Exactly! Enough to get their attention. My ouch is like that! They really do understand. As soon I say ouch and Isabella stops, I tell her what a pretty girl she is and pet her. She does not think she did something bad, per se, but does "get" that it was stopped.
I am a firm believer in redirecting and positive reinforcement.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!