Thread: Biting issues.
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
BentleyB
Yorkie Talker

Confused Biting issues.

Hello everyone!

Bentley, my yorkie, is about 5 months now - and he, for the past month and a half, has had issues with nipping and biting. I was told and read everywhere possible that it is "normal" but that you want to "nip" it is the butt before it gets worse...

He didn't have ANY aggression issues what-so-ever until he started to become a "man" and now has testosterone flowing through him. We are non-violent people so even flicking his little mouth when he is biting is not something I can even think of doing.

I have tried putting him on his back to show dominance, firmly saying "no", and placing my hand around his entire mouth (as requested by our vet) while saying "no" - I have been ok with this act due to it's non-violent nature, putting a toy in his mouth instead, and removing him off the couch.

I am not going to lie - Bentley is my baby... so he gets on the couch, but he is crated at night (which has gone REALLY well). I know I spoil him, I am just afraid that this biting, growling issue could become worse as he matures.

When he is doing these random acts of badness, he is always wagging his tail - which I assume makes him think that he is playing... We play with him often, never tugging toys, and take him on at least 2 walks a day. While walking he is very calm, and never shows aggression towards others... just my fiance and myself while we are in the house and he wants to play.

Does anyone have any advice? I read a few forums, but I am just worried that he will be a mean dog - though he is loving 95% of the time. Is this an age thing? Will it change when I have him neutered?

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!
Melissa and Bentley
BentleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!