View Single Post
Old 09-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
bdb5853
Senior Yorkie Talker

You should be feeding 10% of her weigh now or 2-3% of her projected adult weight. At 12 weeks, she should still be getting 4 meals a day.

You say you are feeding ground meats. Are you adding bone? Calcium is absolutely necessary, especially to a growing puppy. I hope that you are grinding bone in with the meat. She should be eating 80% meat, 10% bone and later on you can add 10% organs, with 5% of the organ meat being liver.

She's only been raw fed 2 weeks and you are already on 3 different proteins. That's a little fast in my book. I'd stick with chicken for now. I wouldn't do ground either. She is old enough to eat without it being "pre-chewed" for her as ground is.

I'd start with a cornish hen and work your way through it. You could give her a cornish hen breast with bone attached, for example for one of her meals. You can ribbon the meat or cut some deep slices in it so she has something to grab onto. Then sit back and let her eat. If she is a gulper or eats fast, you want to feed pieces that are at least as large as her head so she can't swallow them whole. She needs to work for her food, not just inhale it.

I would cut out the sweet potato, she doesn't need it. And I wouldn't give the jerky treats either. At this point, you just want to concentrate on getting her to eat whole, bone in pieces of chicken. Is there a reason why you are feeding ground?
bdb5853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!