View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
i'm sorry to hear that she has a broken leg. Since she is so young and so small her bones are like butter and healing is hard. you really really really need to keep her confined and not let her play or jump or run around. only walk her when she needs to go potty. its very important that you do this. the bones need to heal. Also if she is active she can develop sores under the cast from the cast rubbing her skin. this can cause an infection which she does not need. i hope the break was a clean one and the cast will fix it. in my opinion, with any type of break, an orthopedic surgeon should be seen so they can determine if the break needs surgery or if a cast will suffice. i've worked with vet surgeons and we had to fix many legs that were casted and didn't work. the dog ends up suffering and being confined way longer then it needs to be because proper methods weren't taken in the beginning.

I couldn't agree more. The best chance of healing is right in the beginning. As time goes on, it gets harder to heal. Too many dogs end up needing an amputation because the window of opportunity for healing was missed.

I would definitely ask for a second opinion from an orthopedic vet. Often the xrays can be sent to them for review and you won't even have to bring her in. He will be able to tell if she needs some sort of fixation, i.e, pins, etc. to give her leg the best chance of healing.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!