Thread: HELP!!!!!! asap
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
yorkieloverx5
Yorkie Talker

Default Very, very sad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCKN View Post
Just wondering and hoping for a safe welp!

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not responding. I never got email notification that anyone had responded to my thread - and so I figured I got lost in the shuffle.

As I mentioned before, Cricket had her little boy around 6 am. She seemed to be resting and not in active labor for many hours after that, but I got concerned 6 hours later when nothing else was going on. I still felt another pup in her - although it wasn't moving around like it had been the night before. I called the vet. They told me not to be concerned (as many of you mentioned here - thank you) unless she was "bearing down" and having contractions for more than an hour.

Well.... shortly after posting on here and calling the vet - I went back to check on Cricket. I could see a head coming out - but it kept slipping back inside. I had to help her deliver with the next contraction. A female puppy was delivered 6 and a half hours after the boy pup. Sadly, she was gone. I worked on her for what seemed like FOREVER - rubbing, suctioning, breathing air into her lungs... all to no avail. I felt so bad about it. I felt bad for Cricket. I felt bad for her little brother. I've never had a pup die before - but I know they say to expect it sometimes.

Funny thing is - this little female pup was the most "active" in her mom's belly. She laid to the right of Crickets rib cage and the boy to the left.

I noticed when she was born that there wasn't alot of fluid in the sac. I believe the sac ruptured - perhaps when the boy was being delivered??? ( I should mention here that the boy was born BREECH )

I'm not sure what went wrong. She was fully developed and I could see nothing wrong with her. I weighed her just to see - and she weighed exactly what her brother weighed at birth = 5.2 oz.

Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I didn't get back on here sooner, but I never got an email notification.

Ok... this might sound a little morbid, so I apologize in advance... but when you lose a puppy, what do most of you do with the little one? I took the pup to the vet for cremation. Just curious what others do in that situation.

Cricket and the little boy are doing just fine. Cricket seems to be a great Mamma dog so far. She is very attentive and wants NOTHING to do with anything else except tend to her little boy. I've even had to hand feed her because she doesn't want to take the time away from him to eat! Getting to to go potty is a real trick! I have to put her outside and close the door REAL quick or she'll run inside. LOL!! My Maggie did the same thing the first few days after birth.

Thanks again everyone!!

Amber
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!