View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #15
GreenwoodBiewer
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsophia View Post
As for breeding to the yorkie, the reason given for this is usually said to be that they are doing it to improve the health of the Biewer. Are you kidding me? The yorkies have enough problems of their own to make this statement and this is in my opinion only. So I guess in my opinion if they are going to breed the Biewer back to a Yorkshire Terrier then they better be darn sure about the health of the Yorkie they are breeding back to.
You make a very good point.. breeding back to the Yorkie could be worthless towards the goal of producing a healthier Biewer, unless you KNOW something about that yorkie, it's lines, it's health and are willing to document the litters and the generations produced from that pairing. This IS what is being done by most of the responsible breeders who are working to really develop the Biewer and give it a good solid foundation.

We do not have the history of our Biewers.. we can MAYBE go back 2 or 3 generations??? and that's not giving us an accurate picture of their health.. we don't know the breeders, we don't know the types of records that were kept, the types of things that were tested for (if any).. We don't know the sizes of the litters, the littermates, the mortality rates, the life spans ANY of the things we would want to know about our dogs. We DO have some yorkies that we have 30+ years of experience with their lines.. We KNOW what they produce, we know what to expect.. we know their lines are clear from many of the things other lines are plagued with. These are the lines when you are looking to breed healthy yorkies, you would want to breed with your yorkies! This is the kind of data and experience you need to breed with some confidence that you are doing what you can to produce a healthy, robust puppy. After all, people do still breed healthy Yorkies right?

Don't you see we are not just running out to the corner.. finding a yorkie and mating it with our precious Biewers!!

We are using the best Yorkies we can find.. we are not mixing breeds we are using OUR breed.. one that we know and love dearly. In Germany, when I went and bought my dogs from the breeder.. I was told that they breed in a Yorkie about every 5th generation. At the time I didn't ask why.. I knew these were strictly a color variant of a yorkie then.. I know that now... I had no reason to question it then, I have no reason to question it now.

I am able to use a spectacular yorkie line, that I know. At least I will have one side of the equation that I feel comfortable with understand. The other side of this equation is more of a mystery, but at least I'm going to do all I can for my dogs future.

As I see it.. the future of the Biewer lies in it's Past..

-Diana
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!