View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlshAngel985 View Post
How's this for my new modified plan. I leave him with his Kong filled with his favorite treat, small pieces of cheese (it really isn't a lot) before I head out so he's a bit distracted. Then when I come back I wait for at least one whole minute of silence before heading upstairs (it's super hard not to go up there and pick him up ) then 5 mins of ignoring him once I'm physically in the same room as he is. What do you think Nancy, good plan?

Oh, and I think the vet's exact words were "he was mad at you so he peed and pooed himself, then peed on you in the car."
Oh dear, I hate it when vets give advice like that, if people think their dogs are mad at them they react in one of two ways, they get mad, or they try to make it up to their dog, and spoil them, neither is good for the dog.

Your new plan sounds good, but I want to remind you than when you get home, you don't have to wait 5 minutes, it will seem like a long time to you, and may be five minutes, but it's probably less. I'm telling you its agonizing, and you will feel like the worse mommy in the world, but keep telling yourself it is for his own good, and he'll be less anxious when you are gone. I usually go in the kitchen a fuss around, and when he stops jumping up on me and settles down, that's when I give him the attention, so you are rewarding his calm behavior with your attention. When they jump up, don't forget to turn your back to them. I don't even say no, I think that might cause him to bark, and get more anxious. If your are good at this, he might settle down within 30 seconds, and you can pet or give a treat, but don't fuss too much and, no eye contact until he composes himself.

Join today and remove this ad!