View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlshAngel985 View Post
I have left him home with a full house. My mom, dad, and two brothers. They tell me he's not himself if I'm out. He paces, smells my things and cries when he does. He's only happy when he's following me from room to room and sleeping at my feet. I should have included this in my original post.
And the only other person he's ok with is my mom because apparently she sounds like me. He hears her voice coming from another room and runs over to see if it's me. At least that's what I've been told.
Joey acts this way when I'm gone too, and I've read that some Yorkies develop more of a relationship with certain people and get overly attached, but I'm home most of the time, so this is normal. He use to follow me from room to room, but at age three, he's become more lackadaisical about this, and offers me more freedom. A couple of things that have helped me, is that I will go outside or to the garage for short periods, and return, and he doesn't even seem to notice anymore. Also, and this next part is really hard to do, when you get home, don't act excited. I ignore Joey for the first 5 minutes or until he settles down, and then I give him a treat or pet him. If I don't do this, he will do that choking kind of sound where it sounds like he can't breathe. This was extremely hard for me to do, but it works, and after three times of consistently, ignoring him, the last time I came into the house, he was pretty good, and settled down within a minute. For some reason, if you act excited to see them when you get home, it increases their anxiety when you are away. If you do a google, on anxiety separation, you will see these tips, and many others depending on how severe the anxiety is, but nothing you have said has made me feel like this is all that unusual. I call Joey my little Klingon!

Join today and remove this ad!