View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Here's a great link that explains the difference between registries: Registries

My main focus in buying a dog was to support good breeding practices; in my opinion, the only legitimate registration in the United States was the AKC, and while they still have poor breeders as members, they are the only registry that does routine, unannounced kennel inspections. Many states are strengthening the kennel condition laws, and the AKC can ban members who don't follow state laws or their own rules. A banned breeder has to go somewhere and many of the other registries popped up. The Canadian Kennel Club, (CKC) which is Canada's equivalent to the AKC, is also well respected, but an American company took the initials, and call themselves the CKC also (Continental Kennel Club), in an attempt to mislead people, in my opinion. The problem with these alternative registries is that if someone buys an AKC dog without breeding rights, they can turn around and register these dogs with the alternative registries. AKC is the only registry that offers breeders a choice to sell a puppy with limited registration. Good breeders understand that not every dog should be bred, and not every puppy buyer would make a good breeder. I think one of the very best tips in choosing a good breeder is to choose one who sells with limited registration, if a breeder doesn't care about her puppy's future, she probably doesn't care much about the dogs in general, and doesn't do required health testing. I support the AKC and what it is trying to accomplish, and I think finding an AKC breeder is the first step in finding a quality ethical breeder, but only the first step.

Join today and remove this ad!