View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #15
RachelandSadie
No Longer a Member

no problem, here is what she's written before:

The recipe came from my mom who's hobby is dog nutrition. She's very serious about it!! She has helped others who have dogs with special needs by using this basic recipe and then adding supplements based on their situtation.

I usually double the batch:
1/2 lb lean ground beef (80% or leaner)
2 can sardines (or canned salmon of the same weight)
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 c. veg of choice (spinach, carrots, etc.)
2 large eggs (slightly cooked)
3/4 tablespoon bone meal
1/2 teaspoon potassium
1 tablespoon safflower oil
= 1569 calories

I find the sardines rather smelly - so I substitute 4 oz of cottage cheese or ground turkey (I usually do both!). My hubby hunts, so I sometimes replace the hamburger with deerburger. Do not substitute ground pork. Since I removed the sardines (a very important ingredient), then I squeeze a fish oil caplet every other day over her breakfast. I also add 1/3 childrens multivitamin daily (the ones without artificial sweetener). Feel free to add 1 oz of liver to the batch - its good for them. All human grade products.

I get the bone meal and potassium from iherb.com.

I first made a batch without all the supplements - just to see if Bailey liked it. SHE LOVED IT - so its been this recipe ever since!

I serve one spoonful per serving (the larger spoons) twice a day. It doesnt seem like much - I know. I store it in 10 oz plastic containers about 3/4 full in the freezer- one container lasts about 3 days.

Tip: I put the raw eggs in the hot rice and let it sit a while (hence partially cooked eggs)

Good luck!!! Let me know if you need anything!
RachelandSadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!