View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #27
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdmom View Post
Just want to point out that you are incorrect here. Humans and apes could not procreate. Dogs dna has changed very little from their wolf counterparts since we have domesticated them and could breed and procreate if the opportunity presented itself.
Well actually I am right unless what I have read is a miss print but Dogs and wolves are 99% a like in DNA and Humans and gorillas are 99.4% so doing the math that makes us a whole.4% closer.

As for us domesticaing wolves we do not again you need to look at just how impossible it is to do even now with the tecnology we have to "tame" wolves. It is not do able. They are always wild and will turn on a dime and need to be handled in a differnt manner then a dog. Foxes are another story all together.

Origin of the domestic dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Below from the link above.
""The Promise of Food/Self Domestication: Early wolves would, as scavengers, be attracted to the bones and refuse dumps of human campsites. Dr. Raymond Coppinger of Hampshire College (Massachusetts) argues[7] that those wolves that were more successful at interacting with humans would pass these traits onto their offspring, eventually creating wolves with a greater propensity to be domesticated. The "most social and least fearful" dogs were the ones who were kept around the human living areas, helping to breed those traits that are still recognized in dogs today.[5] Coppinger believes that a behavioral characteristic called "flight distance" was crucial to the transformation from wild wolf to the ancestors of the modern dog. It represents how close an animal will allow humans (or anything else it perceives as dangerous) to get before it runs away. Animals with shorter flight distances will linger, and feed, when humans are close by; this behavioral trait would have been passed on to successive generations, and amplified, creating animals that are increasingly more comfortable around humans. "My argument is that what domesticated—or tame—means is to be able to eat in the presence of human beings. That is the thing that wild wolves can't do."[8] Furthermore, selection for domesticity had the side effect of selecting genetically related physical characteristics, and behavior such as barking. Hypothetically, wolves separated into two populations – the village-oriented scavengers and the packs of hunters. The next steps have not been defined, but selective pressure must have been present to sustain the divergence of these populations. ""

In closing:
As for if we can or can not breed with a gorilla to my current knowledge reseach sciencists do to ethical rules can not and may I make it clear should not try. But it is unclear if it is not possible it is only speculation do to ethical and moral restraint and the yuck factor that there is not going to be an attempted.
Gorllias that are in the wild and are part of reseach and even the ones we can visit are no longer allowed to be touched or get to close to as we as humans can pass on our deadly illnesses and that is as we are so genetically close. So there for we do not know in actually fact that gorillas and humans as you stated can not procreate only that we have a moral and ethical resposibility not to even go there. What would we do with the offspring? that is why it not ok to try that cringe when you read it.

As for the crossing of wolves and dogs that would make the blend more wolf and wild than dommestic and therefore not trust worthy.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!