View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #28
redvalaria
Senior Yorkie Talker

I am a big fan of free feeding.

I have done rescue my whole life (all breeds) and have found one of the main concerns is food aggression, overeating, and "resource allocation".

I have two yorkies and a GSD in the house. They all eat from the same bowls....because, I put three down of three sizes and the big guy wants the tiny bowl and the little guy climbs IN the big bowl, so, everyone is on the same high quality diet and they all eat out of what amounts to a trough at this point!

But my guy is 5 pounds exactly and has no weight or food agression issues, and the 100 pound GSD and the 5 pounder will eat side by side, cheek to jowl...and I swear the baby eats more!

But I have always found if they KNOW KNOW KNOW there will always been fresh water and food, they don't gorge themselves (purging later on your carpet!) and they don't squabble over food. Mine don't even squabble over treats (although its hilarious to see my lil guy with a HUGE rawhide while the teapot yorkie nibbles daintily on what should have been the baby's tiny little treat!)

redvalaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!