View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

Hehe, the only bad question is an unanswered one

I think Dr Pitcairn is better simply because the diet is researched extensively and it includes all the food groups, vitamins and minerals.
The diet is also based on organic-type foods without any pesticides, etc. and this is what we, as humans, prefer and should be using.

I buy the Healthy Powder from Vondi's, a local pet store, but you can easily make your own. You will need two cups nutritional or brewer's yeast, 1 cup lecithin granules, 1/4 cup kelp powder, 4 tablespoons bone meal and 1000 milligrams vitamin C or 1/4 teaspoon sodium ascorbate. Simply mix all the ingredients together in a 1-quart container and refrigerate.

For the recipe, I make Doggie Oats: 5 cups raw rolled oats, 3 pounds (6 cups) raw, whole, ground or chopped heart, kidney, liver and other minced meats, 1/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 cup cooked vegetables (use carrots if you want to omit the vitamin A supplement), 6 tablespoons Healthy Powder, 4 teaspoons bone meal, 10 000 IU vitamin A, 400 IU vitamin E, 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce or 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt and 1-2 cloves garlic.

Simply boil 10 cups of water, add the oats, cover and turn off the heat. Let the oats cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Don't stir while cooking or the oats will become mushy. Add the other ingredients and voila!

A 10lbs dog needs 410 Kcals a day and one cup of the food contains 230 Kcals.

I freeze my dogs' daily meals in plastic bags - one for each day. I find this easier than a container that needs to be washed every day. The plastic bags also ensures that every day's meal is fresh.

The entire recipe makes 14 days' worth of food for my 2 babies. Just be careful, Cash opened the fridge yesterday to get to more food!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!