View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Doodlebug
♥Love My Puppies!♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepuppie View Post
ok. i really don't understand why you guys are all trying to take the treats out of the equation? i think i need to be the yorkie's union leader or spokesperson! i say that they should be given a treat each time a command is obeyed!!!! if you don't give a treat, you are violating the yorkie labor union laws. and the fine will be steak!

seriously, why are you guys having an issue with giving them treats?
haha cute!

I always give a treat if I am home and have one available. After 5 years of keeping up with training they will 'come' to me when I call them when they are running after a bunny, barking at a dog or neighbor in the back yard. They know I will take them inside and give them a small treat. I have trained Daisy that when I say 'come' and hold my hands out she will walk into my hands. She was the escape artist in the family and I really needed to get her to obey the 'come' command because of her getting loose and running into the street. It took a loooong time but she will come to me now because she knows she gets a treat. Recently she got out of the yard and started chasing a bunny towards the street and I yelled Daisy 'stop'. I was amazed to see her stop immediately where she was free to run off, and come back to me. I didn't have a treat but I praise her immensely. I never thought I would see that day, I almost cried.

They obey me at the park and Petsmart without any treats. I don't know if I used the best training methods but I am so happy that with repetition over the years they are finally obeying me pretty well.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!