View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #7
whispersmom2
Inactive Account

I am sorry to hear about your baby's diagnosis of LeggCalvinPerthes Disease. It is a genetic condition (rarely secondary to an injury) where the circulation is not sufficient in the hip. The head of the bone dies and the leg becomes smaller and is carried up by the dog. Occasionally, they will put the foot down when they run but otherwise they carry it up and walk with a limp. The surgery removes the diseased portion of the leg bone.. The muscle and ligaments and tendons grow and form a sorta fake joint. The dog is not in pain after the surgery heals and they have recuperated. They will not have a true joint but they are fine..Your baby will e kay after the surgery, recovery and some physical therapy. Te vet will probably show you how to stretch and work the leg after a few weeks of healing.
I hope this helps you understand the problem and the fix..I had a sweet little guy that I bought for use in a breeding program. He had an injury to his hip but he had the symtoms of LCP as well. I gave him to a vet tech, paid for his surgery and he is fine, now, and a therapy dog..Guess God had a different purpose for him..
whispersmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!