View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
Yorkiexpress
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyloo View Post
We had another trip to the vet yesterday because Daffney needs steroid shots to keep her throat open until the surgery next week.

In the meantime, I did some research online. There were lots of hits on surgery for laryngeal paralysis, but only two hits on laser surgery and they were in medicalese. What I got out of all this is that there are potential problems with this surgery that can result in inhalation pneumonia. Apparently when the tissue is tied back, the larynx may not open and shut properly, allowing the dog to inhale food into its lungs. The laser surgery removes the excess tissue rather than tying it back, so the chance of aspirating food is much lower.

I discussed this with Dr. Bruce and he said that the laser surgery is much safer. He also said that he has sent dozens of dogs to Dr. Kenney for this surgery and not one of them has had an aspiration problem. So, although I'm still nervous, I'm feeling much less worried.

Another thing that I learned online is that this is a problem usually found in older, large dogs. Although Daffney is big for a Yorkie, at 12 pounds she's hardly a large dog. Anyway, that explains why Yorkie owners wouldn't have heard of this problem.

I'll let you all know how the surgery works out. It's scheduled for 9 AM next Monday, June 1.

Linda K.
Yes, please do keep me updated I am sending lots of prayer for a succesful surgery and speedy recovery..I also sent you some information privately ..I hope this helps....
Yorkiexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!