View Single Post
Old 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #3
YorkieShadow
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsweety
I will be taking care of a 7 month old female yorkie for an indefinite amount time and the person who had her before says she is not potty trained. I'm worried because all of my apartment is carpeted, except the kitchen, pantry and bathroom. I need advice on the best way to potty train (crate train or weewee pads). I haven't had a dog since I was a kid so I am totally lost and need your help. She was sleeping in that person's bed and gives her a hard time about staying in the crate at night. I would like her to sleep in the crate at night. Am I going to have a tough time retraining her? Also, she is not spayed, which means she will be in heat. How will I know when that happens?? Is there going to blood all over the place? Yuck!! How many times a day do you feed your dog? Should I only give her water when she eats? I will go to the library tomorrow to check out some books but any advice would be appreciated. Pleas wish me luck. Thank you.
Hello and Welcome to YT. Im Debbie Mickey and Minnies Mommy.
I would start out with a gate in the kitchen area. use a peepad or take her out side. I would take her out quite often at first so she knows that thats exspected of her. If and when she does have an accident and pees on the floor . Do not yell at her . Just tell her no bad and take or out said and or on the pad. Then tell her to go potty. repeat this each time and make sure you tell her good girl and maybe give her a treat or lots of attention when she does go on the pad. The key word Is patience,Understanding and lots of encouragement. As for feeding her I free feed mine I leave their food and water out t all times. Mine both only eat small amounts at a time so this works well with them. The heat question You need to ask them when her last heat was. Some dogs bleed more then others. You will know when shes coming in heat by the swelling of the nipples and private area. They sell panties for that and I use panty liners in them that way you can change them as needed. Good luck on the little girl.
YorkieShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!