View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddiesMommie View Post
UPDATE!!!! Well nothing I did seemed to work. Then, I was getting afraid of irritating it too much. Sooo, I sterilized a needle and began to slightly scrape over the huge hole as one last attempt. It worked. I heard a loud pop and then the head seemed to dislodge. I was surprised to see how much of the body was still attatched
I have removed the tick completely and poured the peroxide to it. I am going to keep alchohol on it for the next few days too. THanks so much for the posts!!
Peroxide should only be used the first time a wound is cleansed. It oxidizes dirt, germs and dead tissue. If you continue to use it, it will continue to oxidize (eat away) any live tissue you want to regrow. A better choice would be Betadine solution for aftercare. Also keep AB ointment on it to keep it moist. Dried up tissue will not heal quickly. Clean and apply ointment 3-4 times daily, gently. Avoid getting anything in the pup's eyes. If the wound ever looks like it's getting worse, take your pup to the vet. He/she may need antibiotics. Take the tick (or photo of it) with you.

Please do not use alcohol on wounds. It is way too painful, and totally unneccessary.

If your pup appears uncomfortable, you can try a warm water compress on the area. A small washcloth in warm water should do the trick, but test it first on the inside of your forearm ... it should not be too hot.

Be mad at the tick, not at the hole in the pup's head. Any disease will have already been transmitted through the bloodstream. You need to watch for symptoms ie: rashes, fever, etc. Google 'tick photos' and try to identify the type of tick and then Google that for the diseases that type carries. Symptoms should be listed there too.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!