Thread: Byb
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Jemma
Donating YT 500 Club Member

oh boy will I ever agree that "SOME" show people are NOT all that. I was a breeder of Golden Retrievers, but showing any breed is still showing. I consider myself a reputable breeder but because I am honest I will tell you what some, so called show people well/have done.
First off, there is no "perfect" pup. Second, just because you have 2 Champ parents and all clearances, does NOT mean the entire litter is a show litter. I have never seen a entire litter all show potential. The pool genes are in the millions. If my Golden had a litter of 8, I could look at a possible 3 as show, not all 8. Any breeder that claims EVERYONE one of their pups is show is full,well, ever mind.
Never go by preliminary hip x rays at 18 months. A good breeder doesn't even breed a dog until 2 years, after a FINAL OFA rating.
Now show breeders know exactly what a Judge looks for. And EVERY dog has a fault, because as stated, there is no perfect pup.
I have witnessed one breeder/show person who brought a different dog for a hip clearance but with another dog's name. Because that one dog failed for hips and she wanted to breed her because her confirmation was excellent. Oh OK so breed a female with bad hips to produce more bad hips. I've heard other breeders have done that with eye and heart clearances. Using different dogs. When you are in the show ring you hear and see many things.
Now a person who doesn't show, doesn't really know these things. Because they are not exposed to all that. In my honest opinion, you might find a better dog from someone who did get clearances on their dogs and has them right in their home. The show ring is quite political. And these kind of things going on in the show ring are NOT limited to just the Golden Retriever. Anyone here who shows and has shown for many years know that these things do go on. I had a Golden Retriever who had a dual championship and even showed in the Westminster. I spent thousand of dollars on her handler and to send her across the states. She had all her clearances with OFA Good. Found out she had low thyroid. Sure it's easily treatable but the likelihood of her pups possibly getting it is higher than if she didn't have it. So after thousands of dollars, I couldn't breed her. You can have two parents and have a pedigree back 5 generations with dogs all cleared. And still throw a dysplastic pup. I've had it. And so have many others. Nothing is full proof but the odds are better, IF all those dogs were really cleared and not false papers. Again, so very sad.Now many show people would have done that. Would have just bred. And that is the reason so many breed dogs are falling away from the standard.
Bottom line, you take a chance whether you buy from someone who doesn't show as well as those who show. Talk is sweet.
Education time is over, lol

Carol and Jemma

Last edited by Jemma; 05-12-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Jemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!