View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #24
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzwanned View Post
Someone was with her, the lady i got her from was holding her. It was before her trip cause i actually went to pick her up in chicago and flew back with her. She shook in the flight too but she always shook, ever since i got her at 6 mos old. It was a natural thing for her. I always tried to make her stop tho by comforting her in my lap or arms when she was nervous and it seemed to work. After a while she rarely shook. I know that before she was with me she lived with her littermate who was the alpha female and always picked on her and i think that made her a nervous dog cause from what i was told she was the submissive one.
That's the kind of thing I meant by maybe something traumatic happened. I guess I'm not convinced "it's in their genes", and I believe if they're shaking, there is a reason. Some dogs may be more genetically predisposed to be the "nervous type", but I'm not sure Yorkies, in general, are predisposed to be nervous. I've owned many different breeds over the years, and nearly all of them would shake if we went on a car ride. The only time they went in the car, was to see the vet to get a shot, so they associated the car ride with pain. I was determined for this not to happen to Joey, and so I took him on many car rides to fun places, but after one trip to the vet, the next car ride he started shaking, it wasn't too bad, and he settled down after a while, but I think he was remembering the last vet trip.

Join today and remove this ad!