View Single Post
Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #41
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtmac View Post
scruffs only listens to me outside when he hears me getting frustrated. whenever we are walking around outside and he is getting his "sniff" on or hears another person or dog, there is no way he's listening to me.

if we are at the dog park on the other hand, if he wanders off by himself for a little while (while we secretly watch him of course) and we call his name he always comes immediately.

it seems like if he knows i'm around and can see me, he doesn't care. if he is doing his own thing and then i show up, he wants to hang out with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJLive View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid yet to try it outside. Sophie is only 7 mths. Although she comes fine in the house, she is easily distracted outside. I don't think she's mature enough yet to put her puppy desires aside and come to me when outside. I notice her improvement in learning from 4 mths of age in puppy school to now at nearly 8 mths. old. i can get her to stay and with treat in hand walk across my kitchen and then release her. Before, she'd last about 1.5 seconds. So there clearly is learning improvement in maturity. My DH says I'm overprotective, but I feel I know her limitations and I'm going with my gut. She did sprint off my front porch last weekend. I screamed and she went about 10 feet and then stopped and laid down (fearfully) in the grass. I'm sure my tone of voice scared her more than anything, as a car was coming down the road and she was headed right for it. Took 10 years off my life, I'll tell ya!
one thing that i learned from my puppy one class is using the 'down' command in emergencies. (instead of 'come' command) it was explained to us that if a dog is running away from you and into danger, saying "come" requires to many steps for the dog. the dog has to 1)stop, 2)turn around, 3) come to you. but the down command on the other hand. requires ONE step. and it makes them stop running. (that made sense to me)

so when milu was a puppy and does her nightly puppy zooms, her daddy will say "down" to train her to stop on command. it was so cute to see her go so fast in circles yet drops down on her belly everytime her daddy says "down" hehe
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!