View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #14
Lady of Yorkies
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Lexie wouldnt have anything to do with the puppies after a c-section, the next day you couldn't pry her off them. I really think it was the drugs they gave her for the C-section. Good Luck sounds like your getting great advise.
Thank you!! She seems to be responding at last!!! 2 of the babies will nurse but I am still having to watch the third baby. What I did was to pull the Maltese babies out of the cage in their tote and put them in the floor, then I put these 3 babies in with them. I just let the mamas run around and get in and feed them if they felt like it. I still couldn't tell if the Yorkie babies were nursing but finally I had 2 of them nursing on the bottle real well. I put them back in the tote and after a while their mom came over and started looking in the tote and just standing there. I put her in with all the babies hoping that if the Maltese babies started to nurse on her, it might kick in that mothering instinct. The Maltese babies weren't interested so I am thinking she might still have had the odor of the anesthesia and other medicines that were given to her in the vets office. Like you suggested I think maybe she still had that stuff in her system. I am so glad she is coming around.

Before you ask I have 5 mamas running around here and NO we don't have any problems with possesiveness. I do have the babies in their own areas so that they don't get mixed up with the others but there has been no problems with them. The babies range in age from 6 weeks down to these that were just born yesterday.

Last edited by Lady of Yorkies; 04-22-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Lady of Yorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!